Holly White’s Berry and Coconut Cream Vegan Pancakes8th April 2019
Thousands Thrive in Dublin at the weekend!1st April 2019
Pumpkin is a type of winter squash that belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is a highly nutrient-dense food. It is rich in vitamins and minerals but low in calories. Pumpkin seeds, leaves, and juices all pack a powerful nutritional punch. For example, the potassium contained within pumpkins can have a positive effect on blood pressure and the antioxidants in pumpkin could help prevent degenerative damage to the eyes!
This tasty pumpkin risotto is a winter warmer that is sure to satisfy your cravings
- 570ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 170g arborio (risotto) rice
- 250g pumpkin diced small
- 50g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- piece fresh Parmesan, or vegetarian Parmesan-style grating cheese (optional) to garnish
- Heat the stock until boiling and then keep over very low heat. In a separate heavy-based saucepan fry the onion in the oil over low heat until soft.
- Add the rice and mix well for a few seconds to coat the grains with oil, then pour in one-third of the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until almost all the stock is absorbed. Add the pumpkin or squash and a little more stock, and continue to simmer until the stock is absorbed.
- From then on add more stock a little at a time, until the pumpkin is soft and the rice al dente.
- Stir the butter into the risotto, and season well with salt and pepper. Bring the cheese and a grater to the table for your guests to serve themselves.